Set the default naming of a discovered device
You can define how MSP N-central determines the device name during Discovery. When MSP N-central runs a discovery to locate devices, it assigns a name to each device. MSP N-central reads the IP address of the device and, if it has a DNS entry, uses the name from the entry. If there is no DNS entry for the device, MSP N-central uses the device IP address.
- Click Administration > Defaults > Device Defaults.
- Select Use Discovered Name to use the device name if available.
- Select to use the network device SNMP SysName during discovery, for network devices such as switches, routers and firewalls.
- You must have already configured the device name on the device before performing a discovery.
- Click Propagate to distribute the default properties to existing devices. Otherwise, the changes you make will only apply to new devices.
- Click Save.
The naming properties are applied to new devices that are added to MSP N-central. If you selected Propagate, the changes are applied to the devices currently managed by MSP N-central.
Synchronization can be affected if a user checks Use Discovered Name and Propagate to a device with an edited device name or if the discovered name is updated after initial discovery and the user unchecks the default setting.