Create a discovery job
The discovery job locates new devices on a customer environment using a Windows Probe. Once added to MSP N-central you can monitor the device for any issues, and perform security, patching and other maintenance to ensure compliance across the customer's network.
- Click Configuration > Asset Discovery > Discovery Jobs.
- Click Add and enter a Name and a Description.
- Click through each tab and configure the properties of the discovery job as required.
When configuring the schedule, if you select a day of the week and specific days of the month, the discovery job will run on both criteria. For example. if you set the schedule to run on Fridays and the 10th and 20th of the month, the discovery jobs will run every Friday as well as on the 10th and 20th of the month.
- Click Finish.
MSP N-central initiates the Windows Probe to look for new devices on the defined network at the scheduled times.
The Probe scans the defined network addresses using the following protocols:
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- NETBIOS and Active Directory Services Interface (ADSI)
- ICMP (ping)
If a discovery scan using WMI fails, the discovery job reruns the scan using the next protocol in the list - SNMP, NETBIOS, then ICMP. The Probe obtains the most information about a device with a WMI-based scan.