Run a discovery job
MSP N-central runs a discovery job to look for new devices on a network based on the schedule you defined when creating the discovery job. You can also run a discovery job manually outside of the scheduled time. You may need to do this when a customer adds new devices to the network that fall outside the discovery job schedule and you need the new devices added to MSP N-central for patching and AV compliance.
The Probe will scan the defined network addresses using the following protocols:
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- NETBIOS and Active Directory Services Interface (ADSI)
- ICMP (ping)
If a discovery scan using WMI fails, the discovery job reruns the scan using the next protocol in the list - SNMP, NETBIOS, then ICMP. The most information about a device will be obtained by a WMI-based scan.
- Click Actions > Run a Discovery.
- Click through each tab and configure the properties of the discovery job as required.
- On the Schedule tab, leave the Type as Now.
- Click Finish.
MSP N-central initiates the Windows Probe to look for new devices on the defined network.