You can manually add network devices to MSP N-central and configure them to be monitored by the MSP N-central server, Probes, or Agents.
For remote Windows devices, you can automatically install the Agent when adding the device or setting up the Agent. The Agent is installed through the monitoring Windows Probe which must be running with domain administrator privileges.
The status of the automatic installation is displayed on the Agent tab when editing a device. The status can display one of five states:
- Pending: The request to automatically install the Agent has yet to be sent.
- In Progress: The request to automatically install the Agent has been sent.
- Completed: The script to automatically install the Agent has been successfully completed.
- Failed: The request to automatically install the Agent could not be completed.
- Not Remotely Installed: The automatic Agent installation option was not selected for this device.
Agents can only be automatically installed on Windows devices that are within the same domain as the monitoring Windows Probe and have been enabled to use WMI, IPC shares, and Admin shares.
This screen includes Filters which are a powerful mechanism for controlling the way MSP N-central displays lists.
To manually add a network device
This procedure can only be done at the Customer or Site-level.
- In the navigation pane, click Views > All Devices.
- Click Add.
- In the Manually Create a Device section of the Add Devices screen, click Add Device.
- Configure the properties of the device in the Add Device screen. For more information on specific properties, refer to Device Details View.
- Click Save and Continue.
- Select the required service template (or templates) from the Apply Service Templates screen. A service template is a grouping of preconfigured services which allows for standardized monitoring of devices.
- Click Save and Continue.
- If you are adding services to the device, select the Monitoring Probe to be used to monitor the services.
- In the Instances column, type the number of times the service should be added to the device.
- Click OK.
- If you are associating the device to a notification, select the Notification Profiles you want to associate to the device.
- Click > to move the selected notifications to the Notification Profiles-Triggers column and click Save.
This feature may also be accessed through the Actions menu.
If a service template is applied or re-applied to a device, those services that can be monitored by an Agent or a Probe will automatically be configured to be monitored by the local Agent.
A confirmation screen will appear prompting you to add services to the device. If you click Yes, the Add Services screen appears. If you click No, the All Devices view appears and the device has been added.
A confirmation screen will appear prompting you to associate the device to a notification. If you click Yes, the Associate Notification Profile Triggers screen appears. If you click No, the All Devices view screen appears and the device has been added.
Click >> to move all of the items from the left column to the right or << to move all of the items from the right column to the left.