Create a filter
Filters enable you to define criteria using one or more Boolean conditions. With the filters, you can display groups of devices that can then be displayed on custom dashboards and applied to rules or tasks.
When creating rules, you can use more than one filter. It is important to remember that multiple filters are linked by OR logic, so devices that meet any of the filters used when configuring a rule will be included.
- Go to Configuration > Filters and click Add.
- Enter a name and description.
- Select who can view and use the filter.
- Use the drop-down lists to build the filter criteria.
- Click Save.
If the list of filters gets too long, you can remove filters from the drop-down (and reinstate them later, if required). This can be done here or from the list of filters.
Advanced variables and custom expressions
In the Advanced Mode, criteria relationships can be defined very specifically to create extremely precise Filters. The default relationships are:
- A and B - Both Criteria A and Criteria B must be met for the Filter to be applied.
- (A and B) or C - Either the combination of both Criteria A and Criteria B or just Criteria C must be met for the Filter to be applied.
- (A or B) and (C or D) - The combination of either Criteria A or Criteria B and the combination of either Criteria C or Criteria D must be met for the Filter to be applied.
- ((A or B) and (C or D)) or E - The combination of either Criteria A or Criteria B and the combination of either Criteria C or Criteria D or just Criteria E must be met for the Filter to be applied.
You can define your own custom expression using variables and relational operators based on:
- Individual criteria must be identified with either an uppercase alphabetical character (A-Z), a lowercase alphabetical character (a-z) or a single-digit numerical value (0-9).
- The only relational operators that are supported are AND and OR. AND identifies that the variables must be matched in combination while OR identifies that variables must be matched either in combination or individually.
- Variables can be grouped in parentheses to isolate relationships from other variables or relationships.
For example, you can define the following custom expression (A and B) or (c and d) or (1 and 2).
After typing the custom expression into the field, click Generate to display the number of criteria parameters that are indicated in your expression. In the example provided above, six different criteria parameters would be needed (A, B, c, d, 1 and 2).
Test your filter
You should always test your filters before saving and using them. Click Preview to display the devices that are selected by your filter.
What do you want to do?
- Use filters and filtering in dashboards
- Use filters in rules
- Group devices for filtering by custom properties
- View the Job status