Create AMP-based Custom Monitoring Services
An AMP, or Automation Manager Policy, is a collection of Powershell-based Automation Objects combined into policy scripts. N-central comes with many AMPs already created but also provides you with the Automation Manager, a drag-and-drop automation designer, which enables you to quickly and easily create, edite, run, debugge, and manage policies without any programming knowledge. For information on using the pre-defined AMPs and creating your own using the Automation Manager, see Using Automation Manager in the MSP N-central online help.
You can create custom services using AMPs that have global output parameters. You can set the thresholds for these parameters to facilitate MSP N-central features, such as notifications and self-healing.
Amp-based monitoring is only available for professional licensed Windows devices.
- Go to Administration > Service Management > Custom Services.
- Click Add, select Service, then Automation Manager Policy.
- Enter a Name and a Description for this Custom Service.
- On the Details tab, use the Select Automation Policy drop-down menu to select the required policy. AMPs that are suitable for monitoring appear.
- You can add a Service Identifier to uniquely identify this use of the AMP as a service.
- The output parameter for the AMP are listed on the Thresholds tab. Depending on the AMPs outputs these will be:
- String evaluations, where you can test if a string value occurs in the parameter and display the state of Normal, Warning or Failed accordingly.
- Ranges, where you can set the range that the value must be in to display the state of Normal, Warning, or Failed.
You have now created a very simple AMP service. You can add this service to a template or to any Windows server or workstation as described in Apply Custom Monitoring Services.